Thursday, September 24, 2015

Why You Should Share Your Ideas

Time and again it had been made clear to me, by family and friends, that talking to people about your business ideas is a big mistake. In a world where information is so freely available and spread at light speed, we are protective of that which we can still keep secret.

For many entrepreneur and even business leaders, this is the case when it comes to business ideas. At first glance it does make sense to keep your next big product to yourself. Because somewhere out there someone is bound to take it and make it their own, right? And that's what I was told again and again until I no longer questioned it. However once you actually think about it, you will see that sharing your ideas can be one of the best things you can do for your business.
Image taken from 'Share To Make Ideas Happen' by Behance Team


In order to explain, I'll be using a Forbes article by Patrick Hull as a backdrop. Patrick has over 25 years of entrepreneurial experience to his name and his article works through some key points as to why you should be talking about your ideas.

"I’ve heard a lot of great concepts for startups. I try to work with and help the ones I really liked. I don’t try to take those ideas and make them my own. For starters, I’ve got too much else on my plate to worry about taking someone else’s idea. I think this is true for most people"

I can personally vouch for this. Through my own entrepreneurial journey I have met individuals who have the resources and know-how to take my idea and turn it into a business tomorrow. But they haven’t. Why? Because ideas are cheap and you are almost certainly more passionate and committed to you’re idea than 99.999% of the world. Talking about your idea is easy, but turning it into a real business is the truly hard part and something which most aren't prepared to do. So don't be afraid to speak to powerful and capable people about your idea. Often if these people like your idea they will want to help you to prosper and succeed, not steal it and show you the exit.

"I’ve found it incredibly helpful to bounce ideas off others and ask for their feedback. In return, I’ve gained valuable insight and perspective that I wouldn’t have otherwise received…In many cases, they might be able to connect you with someone else who can help turn your idea into reality”

If you want to be a successful entrepreneur, having a strong network is essential. No one person can do everything and so we are constantly reliant on the knowledge and skill of others. This is where the value of speaking to other comes in. Just as Patrick says, some of the biggest realizations you will have in building your business will come from others. I know that some of the most drastic changes my business has already undergone in our short few months of development have come from people’s feedback. Meetings, pitching events and informal discussion have almost always yielded valuable feedback that have lead to a more refined idea and therefore end product. Also, by engaging in conversation about your idea, you can utilize and explore the networks of those around you. For instance, I have managed to find some of the key suppliers I will need from speaking to friends and family.

Image taken from 'Facebook and the Small World Experiment' by Winnie Hsia

It is said that we are all separated by only ‘6 degrees of separation’. So can you imagine how many people you could potentially get in touch with by asking just a few of the folks you know about who they know and who they could refer you too. There is certainly big potential in it. So get out there and get talking about your ideas, because there plenty more people out there to help, than there are to steal your idea.

Thanks as always for reading and if you have any thoughts please post them in the comments section below.

For more information on the article go to: http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickhull/2013/06/13/talk-about-your-idea-it-wont-get-stolen/





No comments:

Post a Comment