Sunday, September 20, 2015

Is It Ok To Work With Friends?

On the whole, yes! I remember a few months ago when I was thinking about who I wanted on my team for the business I planned to build and thinking 'can I ask my friends or is it a bad idea?'. I'll be honest, I got some mixed opinions from both family and friends as well as the suppository of information that is the internet. While those close to me believed that you shouldn't mix friends with business, the overwhelming opinion online, from leading business people, was that it can be a great idea.

Of course there will always be the issue that if things go belly up, a relationship could be soured. However having said this, if you have a strong relationship with someone and you keep talking about whats going on now and what may happen in the future, it will be easier to work through issues that arise. The benefit that I have experienced from bringing on a friend as a work partner is that you generally know each other like the back of your hand. Meaning that you don't have to waste time getting to know how each other, and can press on with converting ideas into products. Of course you will still need to see how you will work as a team, but this is not a deterrent from trying it in the first place.

Just as I said at the start of this post, It can be hard to decide if it's a good idea to work with your friends on your business idea. But from what I have seen, working with those who are already closest to you creates a more relaxed and progressive environment. It also gives you the confidence to contest ideas on the spot which makes coming up with even better ones simpler and easier to do. So if you have a friend that you want to work with, go and speak to them! You never know what might be possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment