Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Top 3 Things To Make The Average Working Week A More Wholesome One

We all want to live our lives to the best of our abilities. We want to share experiences with people and indulge ourselves in the little things, like chocolate or wine, that bring a smile to our face. I'd like to add a few more things to the normal week that I think will make each one more fulfilling, productive and enjoyable.

1. First is almost always the best and so the most important point on this list. Reading is one of those things that many of the most successful and prolific business men and women do on a daily basis. Apart from the obvious benefit of not having a screen in your face, which is a big no no before bed, it allows you to distance yourself from the world around you. It can be humbling and soothing to take some time out of your hectic schedule and engross yourself in a book. The topic is almost irrelevant. For instance I just read 'The Martian', which is a phenomenal read, and once I finished that I moved to a Jeremy Clarkson book. The effect though remains the same. You go to sleep more relaxed and more distanced from the issue you got into bed with that have been bugging you since you left work. This means that when you get up you're more likely to be ready for the day to come, and so the benefits accumulate. Want more reasons to read? Well here's another 10!

2. Always make time for others. When work or life gets you down its important to be able to take a step back from it all and enjoy a few casual hours with some friends. I used to think that being with my mates was sucking time out of other work I needed to do. Oh how wrong I was. Once I started to think about it I realised that being with my friends offered a get away from the other stresses in my life. It's so crucial in the world that we live in that we can get away from it all and just enjoy the company of others, away from screens and noise. You're relationships with the people around you probably hold you together more than you realise so give them (and you) the time and respect they deserve.

3. Do something a little different every week. Now I'm not asking you to try snails or go bungie jumping because that would be impractical and (subjectively) disgusting. But trying a new cafe or restaurant, seeing an old friend, even going for a walk when you normally wouldn't can make a big difference. There is a weird satisfaction that many people derive from doing something different to the norm. A sense of achievement that they have for a few key hours broken the normal progression of the week. Variety is the spice of life after all!


Thanks for reading and as always please leave a comment if you have any thoughts on this post. Maybe you have some more ideas to add or have used these points already in your own life. I'd love to hear if you have.

Be well and I'll be back in a few days with some more tips, tricks and thoughts on the entrepreneurship and the wider world.

No comments:

Post a Comment